Best Things Seniors Can Get Free or Discounted
There are many benefits to getting older, but living on a fixed income can be a challenge. The good news is that so many places give seniors a discount, but often only if you ask. Deals change constantly, and sometimes a particular franchise owner gives a free drink instead of a discounted meal, for example. All of these little perks add up.
The other big news in “senior” discounts is that they sometimes start at age 50, when many of us don’t yet consider ourselves ripe for age-related discounts. The advice here to take advantage of your newfound price reduction and pocket the savings with a knowing smile. Age is just a number, but we want to take advantage of every perk to which it entitles us!
Speaking of discounts at age 50, that’s when AARP eligibility begins. The many discounts offered cardholders are included below. AARP membership is only $12 your first year with automatic renewal and free spouse/partner membership, so most people find the cost is paid for with savings in a short time.
Clothing and Retail Senior Discounts
You probably already shop at many of these stores without realizing you could be getting a nice discount. The trick is knowing that you have to ask for it. While we’ve tried to be as accurate as possible, policies change and we recommend calling ahead to confirm details with your local retailer.
- Dress Barn Age 62 and older get a 10 percent discount on days of the week that vary by location.
- Kohls Age 60 and older shop on Wednesday for 15 percent off.
- Lens Crafters AARP members get 30 percent off lenses and frames, or 40 percent off a complete pair of transition lenses. (A word about glasses: Check around for the best deal. Costco and Walmart are a couple of retailers to call for comparisons.)
- Michael’s The craft store will slash your bill 10 percent every day.
- Ross Age 55 and older qualify for10 percent off on Tuesday with a Tuesday Club card.
- Stein Mart Sign up for emails with special coupons for age 55 or older.
- Walgreens Each location features a Seniors Day once a month when Balance Reward members age 55 and up get 20 percent off in-store purchases, or 10 percent discounts online.
- UPS Store AARP members qualify for 15 percent off selected products and services, plus 5 percent off domestic and international shipping services.
Senior Discounts at Restaurants
Yum! It’s always fun to eat out, but even better when you can reduce your bill. Just remember that if you’re tipping, you need to figure up the gratuity for your server based on the original amount. Discounts apply to food only as a general rule, and never to alcoholic beverages.
- Applebee’s Get a Golden Apple card if you’re age 60 or more for 10 to 15 percent off.
- Arby’s If you’re 55 or more, you’ll get 10 percent off.
- Bonefish Grill If you’re an AARP member, you qualify for 10 percent off.
- Carrabba’s Italian Grill AARP members at most locations get 10 percent off the bill.
- Chick-fil-A Free soda refills for seniors at many locations.
- Chili’s Get a 10 percent discount if you’re 55 or older.
- Denny’s Enjoy a 15 percent discount if you’re an AARP member.
- Einstein’s Bagels Get 10 percent off for those 60 and above.
- Friendly’s Restaurant Free breakfast coffee and 10 percent off meals.
- IHOP Those 55 and older get discounts on rotating menu items.
- McDonalds Discounted coffee and drinks for seniors 55 and over; varies by location.
- Outback Steakhouse AARP members save 10 percent.
Traveling with Senior Discounts
Whether you’re heading off for a cruise, flying to your dream destination or renting a car for a road trip, senior discounts abound. Be sure to check with your preferred hotel for senior discounts, since many different brands are included under flagship names.
- American Airlines Call before you book to check on various discounts for 65 and over.
- Amtrak Get a 15 percent reduction if you’re 62 or older.
- Avis Up to 30 percent off of base rates for AARP members at participating agencies.
- Budget Rental CarsG et up to 30 percent off of base rates for AARP members at select locations.
- Carnival Cruise Savings vary for seniors 55 and above.
- Choice Hotels AARP members and those 60 and older save up to 10 percent with advance booking.
- Greyhound Seniors 62 and older enjoy 5 percent off.
- Hertz AARP members get 25 percent off plus a free upgrade, or anyone age 50 and over can sign up for the 50+ Car Rental Program for deals.
- Hilton Hotels and Resorts AARP members knock 10 percent off the best available rate.
- Marriott Hotels Those 62 and above can get 15 percent off their room.
- Motel 6 Take 10 percent off your bill if you’re 60 or above.
- Southwest Airlines Travelers 65 and older can call before booking for various discounts.
- Royal Caribbean Reduced prices on select sailings are offered for those 55 and above.
- United Airlines Call ahead regarding discounts for those aged 65 and above.
Source: Society of Certified Senior Advisors Blog: March 15, 2018
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net